CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Too Close For Comfort

This ...



happened in my neighborhood.

And, I slept through it all. Didn't hear a thing ...

May God Rest Her Soul and keep her husband in his care.

Police have identified the woman who died in an early morning blaze Monday. Graciela Letizia Marandino, 31, of 15281 Valley Stream Way in the Rippon Landing area of Woodbridge, died from smoke inhalation when her house went up in flames just before 1 a.m. Monday, Officer Erika Hernandez, Prince William police spokeswoman, said in a released statement. Marandino’s 36-year-old husband was flown to a local hospital with serious burns. He was treated and released, Hernandez said.
Hernandez would not give his name and said the investigation is ongoing. A volunteer firefighter who was also injured during the blaze was treated at a local hospital and was released. This is the first fire related fatality in Prince William County in 2008. A man, who refused to give his name, lives with his wife next door to where the blaze occurred. In an interview Monday he said he heard a man screaming for help during the fire but never heard the woman scream. Neighbors said Marandino was studying to become a veterinarian and worked for a vet’s office in Springfield. She didn’t have any pets of her own, neighbors said.

Fire has always been one of my biggest fears as a homeowner. Thank goodness these townhomes are built with decent firewalls and the risk of spreading through the whole section is minimal. I don't have a fireplace. And luckily (for my peace of mind), neither does my next door neighbor. BUT, this time of year and especially during these times of ecomonic woes - I shudder when I come home and see smoke rising from the stack of the neighbors that live a few doors down.

If you have a fireplace AND use it - PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

4 comments:

ChrisB said...

Oh that is such a tragedy so very sad.

"J" said...

Ugh....
That is sooooooooooooooooo very sad!!!! She was sooooooooooooo young!!!! =(

I'm with you...
fires have been one of my biggest fears since I was a little girl and the fireman guys came to school telling us how our house could burn down and we could be in it sleeping!!!! UGH!!!! I then made a plan of action to figure out what toys I was running out the door with!!!!! For real!!!! My kid kitchen set (stove and fridge) was by one of the doors in our house!!! I knew if I ever woke up and our house was on fire I was going to toss them out the door and save them!!!!

Funny thoughts as a kid but it STUCK with me!!!! =) I loved that kitchen set!!!!

A Spot of T said...

Wow that's so sad :o( We have a fireplace and I'm always so paranoid of using it. Gregg gets home in the winter and the first thing he does is light it up. I do get it cleaned all the time though, but still. They make me nervous.

m (the misanthrope) said...

This is terrible. I heard about it on the local news yesterday, but I hadn't heard any of the details. Fire also terrifes me. I figure my husband and I could run for it, but I know that our cats would hide and we might not be able to get them out. One of our birds lives in a large cage, and I would find it difficult to haul it out by myself (or even with help). We don't have a fireplace but I am paranoid about all fire hazards...